If we say we are loving, we will make favorable remarks and provide kindness in action. We will allow others to do the best they can do, despite their level of ability or level of perfection. My way is not always the right way and it's important to allow others the opportunity to participate and serve. I do not need to be the best at any one thing. I just need to try my best. I do not need to control the situation. Power and control is hurtful to myself and others.
If we say we are thrifty, we will not flaunt our worldly possessions and compare what we have to what others do not have. Do we need so many things? Live simply and give generously.
If we say we are honest we will admit our shortcomings and humbly try our best to lift and praise those around us. We will quietly serve without recognition and obligation.
I have work to do...I know this is true. I can learn from the following words found in the First Presidency Message, in Conference Report, Apr. 1942:
Gospel of Love
The gospel of Christ is a gospel of love and peace, of patience and longsuffering, of forbearance and forgiveness, of kindness and good deeds, of charity and brotherly love. Greed, avarice, base ambition, thirst for power, and unrighteous dominion over our fellowmen can have no place in the hearts of Latter-day Saints nor of God-fearing men everywhere. We of the Church must lead the life prescribed in the saying of the ancient prophet-warrior:
"I seek not for power, but to pull it down. I seek not for honor of the world, but for the glory of my God, and the freedom and welfare of my country." (Alma 60:36)
Hate Must Be Abolished
Hate can have no place in the souls of the righteous. We must follow the commands of Christ Himself which declare the true life:
"Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
"That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven." (Matt. 5:44–45)
These principles must be instilled into the hearts of our children, taught to our youth, given by way of instruction to our vigorous manhood and womanhood, lived in very fact and deed by the aged, ripened in experience and wisdom. These are the principles which God enjoins upon all who teach, in whatever capacity or in whatever place. The Lord has declared that those who "teach not their children light and truth, according to the commandments" shall be afflicted, the wicked one shall have power over them (D&C 93:42), and the sin shall be upon their heads (D&C 68:25). Woe will be the part of those who plant hate in the hearts of the youth and of the people, for God will not hold them guiltless; they are sowing the wind, [and] their victims will reap the whirlwinds. Hate is born of Satan; love is the offspring of God. We must drive out hate from our hearts, every one of us, and permit it not again to enter.