23 February, 2010

be yourself.


a few weeks ago, while attending our ward's NEW BEGINNINGS program, one of the brilliant young women shared this little poem:

..............................

Be Yourself
Anonymous

Ever since I was a little kid, I didn't want to be me.
I wanted to be Angie Bray and Angie Bray didn't
even like me. I walked like she walked; I talked like she talked;
and I signed up for the same high school as she signed up for.

Which was when Angie changed. She began to hang around
Stephanie Bates. She walked like Stephanie Bates, she talked
like Stephanie. She mixed me up! I began to walk like Angie
Bray walking and talking like Stephanie Bates.

And then it dawned on me that Stephanie Bates walked
and talked like Marissa Murdock. Marissa Murdock walked
and talked like Alyssa Peterson.

So here I am walking and talking like Angie Bray's imitation of
Stephanie Bates version of Marissa Murdock trying to
walk and talk like Alyssa Peterson. And who do you think
Alyssa Peterson is always walking and talking like? Of all people,
Emily Williams*. Emily Williams is the little pest
who walks and talks like me!! *name was changed

..............................


my goal is to be myself as a woman and teach my girls the importance of doing so themselves.